Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Life is Not Unfair

Hey Friends,

Thanks to one of the two Teacher Appreciation Days offered by the San Diego County Fair last Friday (the other one is this Friday), I got to spend a lovely day wandering the fairgrounds at Del Mar, pigging out on greasy overpriced fair food.


This year, the fair's theme was Game On! There was a cool exhibit featuring life-size games of Chess, Operation, and Twister with lots of interesting accompanying trivia and history to read, but let's be honest, who goes to the fair for the exhibits? Going to the fair is one of the few times a year where I will set aside any ounce of will power and good conscience to indulge in deep fried anything.


After spending 8 hours at the fair I had eaten the following:
  • 1/2 artichoke sandwich
  • 2 Australian battered potatoes
  • 1 ball of fried cookie dough
  • 1/2 an apple tower (sliced apples drizzled in caramel topped with peanuts and whipped cream)
  • 1 bite of chocolate coated cheesecake on a stick
  • 1 bite of a bacon wrapped stuffed jalepeno
  • 1 cinnamon roll with cream cheese frosting and pecans
  • 1 bite of a bratwurst dog
  • 1 beer
  • 1 margarita
  • A handful of french fries
... and the only food that I tried for the first time in my life that day - frog legs! Now I can actually comment on the whole "taste like chicken" bit. The texture of the meat is a hybrid between chicken and fish and so is the flavor. I don't know what kind of chicken people are eating but frog legs definitely have their own unique taste. The fair probably isn't the best place to get your first impression of a more exotic food like frog legs, but I'm definitely excited to try a gourmet, upscale version of them in the future.


When I wasn't incessantly snacking on fair food, I noticed a new fair game this year - beer pong! I was tempted to call up all my frat guy friends from college and have them each win me a prize. Unfortunately, I took a silent vow not to play fair games after I accidentally watched a 20/20 expose on carnival games. My company and I had a good laugh as we walked by the basketball hoop game and saw the blatantly oval-shaped rim from the side. I'm sure the balls were over-inflated too.


Nevertheless there was still one fair game that I was very much looking forward to playing. Now that I think about it, it's probably the fairest game at the fair - the water gun game! After all, there's a winner each game. I'd been waiting all year to have a rematch with my boyfriend who beat me last year after he failed to tell me he had never lost a game (I of course had also failed to tell him that I had never lost a game up until that point as well). I couldn't wait to redeem myself by winning him a stuffed animal this year!


Well, so much for that pipe dream. I ended the day riding the Ferris wheel with my newest stuffed animal - Hoobies. Guess there's always next year! :)

As always, thanks so much for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Dan explained Hoobies to me, hehehe. Your food list is impressive - now I'm sorry I missed it!

    ReplyDelete