Tuesday, September 4, 2012

That Moment When

Hi friends! Today was a marvelous day of teaching. You ever just get into "the zone"? Well, today I was totally in the zone. I was so nervous about today because my district's superintendent was paying a visit. All of the other kinder teachers were at a systematic ELD training off campus (conveniently enough HAHA) so I was the lone teacher left to represent my grade level. I don't know why, but for as long as I can remember, I've been a creature of validation. I need it. I crave it. I often times can't move forward without it. It's probably why I enjoyed student teaching so much. Both of my cooperating teachers were excellent about providing me with meaningful feedback about my teaching. To a certain degree, I think we all like to hear when we're doing a good job, especially when we are new to something. Wouldn't you agree? I like to hear about things that I'm not doing well too so that I can reflect and brainstorm ways to make myself better. After chatting with my principal after school, I'm pleased to say that the superintendent was very satisfied with his visit including what he observed in my classroom (all FIVE minutes of it, heh). Can I get a WOOT WOOT?!?

Now, as if getting a nod from the superintendent wasn't enough to validate all the time and effort I've put into my teaching in the last few weeks, my students just blew me away. I administered their first writing benchmark today. Their prompt was to write about school. I was ridiculously giddy when I saw boys and girls stretching and listening for sounds, strategies that I have explicitly been teaching, on their own as they wrote their stories.

The crown jewel of the day was when I was testing one of my students who is frequently absent. I've been trying to get her RESULTS finished for over a week and was finally able to do so today. When it came to the letter identification she nailed A, R, and T. When it came to the sight words she recognized 'see' faster than I can demolish a piece of pecan pie on Thanksgiving! That moment when you realize the letters and sight words that you have been working so hard to teach actually stuck! That's when I realized I really love what I do and I need to stop doubting myself.

First year teacher tip #39 - When you are overwhelmed and feel lost, never lose faith in why you got into teaching in the first place. Your students will provide all the validation you need.

P.S. I finally got over 1000 views on this thing! Thanks so much to everyone who takes the time to read about my first year teacher amusings! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment