Sunday, May 26, 2013

Insectsy and We Know It II

Hey Friends,
If you're coming here straight from part one, you're awesome! And if you're not, don't worry, you're awesome too :). I am starting to think I might have a crush on Mr. Eric Carle. This past week we used yet another one of his children's books, The Grouchy Ladybug as our focus text. Our sight word last week was 'look' and with the abundance of dialogue in the story, I thought it was a good opportunity to review the word 'said', 'you' and 'are' as well. Here are some student samples:


For our interactive writing last week we filled out a can-are-have chart on ladybugs. I love this kind of anchor chart! I think it's ideal for using as a foundation for helping students with their informational writing and it also provides additional exposure to sight words for your lower students.


One of the biggest reasons I love to use Carle's books is because they often touch upon subjects across the curriculum. The week prior, my students had just finished learning about time so it was perfect that The Grouchy Ladybug used language like "At 6 o' clock" because students were able to make connections right away. For one of their literacy centers, students made ladybug clocks as a story retelling aid and for extra practice with telling time. First they colored and spotted paper plates that they cut in half. Next they labeled the clock. Then I used two brass tacks, one to secure the wings, and another to secure the hour hand. Lastly, they cut and pasted the sentence frame 'It is ___ o' clock." and practiced with a partner (oops - just realized I printed them out 'o clock).


My kiddos also got to review some addition with this cute ladybug addition craftivity. I differentiated the activity by predetermining the spots on eat ladybug. I gave my struggling students less spots and my more advanced students ladybugs with more spots. I think little modifications like this are very simple and hardly add any additional prep time but make all the difference in student learning.


Here is the completed Our Fair Ladybugs wall.


It's funny, with only 9 school days left before summer vacation, I'm still voraciously putting new and current student work up while most teachers at my school are taking things down.

I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend and as always, thanks so much for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment