Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Fashionate About Teaching

Hey Friends,

I'm really excited about today's post as I finally get to feature some local talent. As a teacher, I collaborate all the time with my colleagues, but it's a skill that I try and transfer to various domains of my life outside my professional one. I love getting together with different people and creating something a thousand times better than what I could've done on my own. This time I had the awesome opportunity to work with my friend, Chris, on a photoshoot for this here blog. I hope you enjoy the results of our collaboration! :)

Chris and I first met when I was working at Oceanview Terrace (or OVT for the acronym savvy), my college's "premiere" dining hall. Facebook says we've been friends since May 2010, but we all know there's an undisclosed incubation period from when you actually meet a person and friend them on Facebook. I've found this can last anywhere from thirty seconds (yes, really) to thirty months. So let's see, that means Chris and I formally met sometime during my second year in college. That sounds about right. I had no idea Chris was into photography until I stumbled upon his blog one day, only to find out shortly after that he was also a musician. He liked my blog, I liked his photography, we joined forces, and the rest is history.
 
 
The Look: Today's outfit was inspired by my recent unit on mud. What better way to ring in spring then by making mud pies?! With that in mind, I went for earthy tones and paired a spotted patterned top with a solid olive green colored skirt. The worn-out boots actually carry the most sentiment and purpose in today's outfit in addition to working well with the overall terrene theme.


I got the boots a few years ago as a birthday gift from a dear friend and since then, they have traveled with me all over the world. Namely they've walked me through parts of France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom. After I graduated from college, I traveled around Western Europe with my younger brother for five weeks. When I got back from my trip in August 2011, I was a different person. I had absorbed a ton of foreign culture in those five weeks and it had really changed my perspective and outlook on a plethora of things. The ragged edges and beat down leather and soles of the boots remind me so much of that adventure that I've never quite been able to retire them. If anything, they've made the boots quite priceless. Do you have any objects that symbolize powerful, intangible moments like that in your possession? They are so hard to let go of aren't they?


I haven't gone shopping in so long. Darn this first year teacher salary! Nevertheless I recently decided to treat myself to something small and purchased this purse (on sale of course) and couldn't resist the unique horse emblem detail. Since I was born in the year of the horse I thought it would be an interesting and fitting piece to add to my wardrobe.



I love the way the pictures turned out. I think Chris did an amazing job capturing the essence of my inspiration for this outfit and post. If you're a fan (see that's funny because his last name is Fan) of these photos then don't forget to check out and follow his photography here and rock out to some indie/folk tunes by his band, Ancient Sea, while you're at it!


Look confident. Feel confident. Be confident! As always, thanks so much for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Karen these turned out so well!! Lovely photos, lovely model :)

    ReplyDelete